Field Research Agronomist (Efficacy) #MB17RA01 Job Opening in Portage la Prairie, MB - ICMS, Inc. Recruitment 2017
CanadasCareer.com - ICMS, Inc. is a rapidly growing company in Portage la Prairie, MB. To accelerate the development of the business and professional area, in April 2017 ICMS, Inc. is planning to boost the number of employees and improve existing recruiting. ICMS, Inc. opens job chance of Field Research Agronomist (Efficacy) #MB17RA01 placed in Portage la Prairie, MB. This chance has been opened at the beginning of April 2017 and will be closed on the end of this month. If you're thinking about Field Research Agronomist (Efficacy) #MB17RA01, please read about the conditions and terms below.
Field Research Agronomist (Efficacy) #MB17RA01 April 2017ICMS, Inc. Portage la Prairie, MB
This position is based at our Portage la Prairie Research station with the primary focus of conducting research to evaluate the efficacy of crop inputs such as conventional and bio-pesticides, inoculants, plant growth regulators, fertilizers, seed coatings, and many other agricultural products. Depending on the workload distribution, you may work on field crops such as canola, corn, soybean, tomato, wheat, barley, oats, field peas, lentils, sunflowers, various vegetables, alfalfa, forages, and many more. As a Research Agronomist, YOU will be responsible for setting up research trials on various crops to conduct product evaluation experiments. YOU will be responsible for planting and maintaining the crops, applying treatments, collecting data, directing term staff, writing reports and communicating with clientele. This position will report to the Regional Manager on a regular basis.
Skills and Responsibilities: Candidates which feel that they currently possess these capabilities are encouraged to apply. Candidates not currently possessing all of these qualities should be capable of learning and delivering these qualities and skills by the end of their first year.
- Review crop schedules and implement plans accordingly.
- Familiar with and able to identify weeds, diseases and insects which are common to the crops grown in Manitoba.
- Know how to introduce, augment and/or control disease, insect and weed pressure within trials.
- Have knowledge of proper pesticide application timings.
- Able to successfully complete basic math associated with agriculture such as conversion calculations, fertilizer and pesticide application rates, application water volumes, and mix sizes to name a few.
- Familiar with pesticides, pesticide groups, application methods and factors affecting pesticide efficacy such as proper mix order etc.
- Properly prepare a seedbed and operate a seed drill to establish crops.
- Grow field and horticultural crops that will be equivalent to local agriculture standards.
Basic Management Skills
- Enter parameters and maintain an experiment tracking system that includes listing trial tasks, estimating target dates, tracking completion dates to meet protocol requirements and project deadlines.
- Be able to train and mentor directs on agriculture and experimental tasks which will meet set quality standards.
- Be able to delegate tasks to directs and then follow up to ensure the tasks are completed to set quality standards and within protocol requirements.
- Be able to accept direction from the Regional Manager and incorporate it into routine procedure.
- Be able to prioritize tasks.
- Be able to develop efficient routines.
- Understands the importance of open communication within the workplace and encourage the flow of information from directs to the Regional Manager.
- Work effectively both independently and with the team in a fast-paced environment, working under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Understanding of field experimental design and terminology such as: RCBD, split plot, replicate, block, treatment and plot
- Read and understand a protocol, then break down the tasks associated with the experiment to adhere to the protocol requirements.
- Collect data by performing visual assessment on treatments. Examples: For disease control (by visually assessing plants and leaves for severity and incidence), and for weed and insect infestation and damage by visual or qualitative methods (counting insects on leaves).
- Have excellent observation skills with regard to treatment effects.
- Interpret ANOVA tables and generate trial reports.
- Be able to verbally communicate clear direction to staff members and accurate information to the Regional Manager.
- Be able to write emails and reports in a professional manner free from spelling, grammar and formatting errors.
- Be able to communicate in a professional manner to develop team and business relationships.
- Be able to listen actively, attentively and respond to direction.
- Contribute to a team environment.
- Respond positively to constructive discussion and provide positive feedback.
- Be proficient in the use of iPads and iPhones for the use of data collection and reporting.
- Be able to operate a sprayer and be familiar with application systems and terminology.
- Be able to safely operate a tractor and associated implements which are used in agriculture.
- Be able to use Excel and Word for data and report processing.
- Be able to use Outlook for email communication.
- Safely and confidently operate a truck pulling a 20-24’ trailer, and load, unload and secure equipment in a safe manner.
- Have enough equipment experience to be able to learn the use and operation of new equipment.
- Be attentive to operate equipment safely.
- Be able to use ARM.
- Diploma or Degree with a focus on agriculture, entomology, plant pathology, weed science, agronomy, crop science or plant protection would be considered an asset.
- Anyone with multiple years of agriculture production/agronomy/research experience is encouraged to apply.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, excellent attention to detail, organization, and record keeping.
- Willing to travel periodically and complete tasks requiring extended work hours (early morning, evening and weekends) when necessary.
- Capable of physical tasks such as lifting (30 kg), carrying a hand-held sprayer, walking in the field, bending and operating agriculture equipment.
- Skills that are an asset but not mandatory: Agriculture background, farm machinery experience, previous research experience and good mechanical aptitude.
- A passion for plants and growing them.
- Ability and desire to work primarily in an outdoor environment from May to October.
- Capacity to work in a multicultural work environment.
- This position requires membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Manitoba Institute of Agrologists.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, salary expectation and references by clicking apply and referencing job number “#MB17RA01”
Deadline for applications: Apply as soon as possible. Suitable candidates will be hired as they apply.
Applications will be accepted as long as this notice is posted.
You must be able to fill out the requirements above to use Field Research Agronomist (Efficacy) #MB17RA01. If you've already meet up with the requirements, you can apply over the internet and send your new CV by pressing "Apply Online" button. I hope this information is useful that you can get job you want. If you are not interested with this job, you can below read additional job informations.
Apply for Job
Related Canada Career
Access to a vehicle and possession of a valid Manitoba driver’s license as travel will be required. Reporting to the Resource Supervisor, the Resource...
The successful applicants will offer prompt, courteous & knowledgeable service to our customers, providing them with a positive sales experience....
Also, a Full Class 4 Driver’s License (4F), satisfactory Driver’s Abstract, First Aid and CPR (level C) certificates will be required prior to being offered...
Completion of an Office Skills Course or Certificate. Reporting to the Registration Services Coordinator, the Clerk II - Intake / Communications is responsible...
Filing prescriptions, invoices, reports, correspondence and memos. Assisting Pharmacist in maintaining appropriate stock levels of drugs and supplies • Checking...
Completion of a Certified Medical Transcriptionist Program. Typing speed of 60 wpm. Given the cultural diversity of our region, the ability to communicate in...
Must provide friendly, prompt and courteous customer service at all times.*. Deadline for applications – March 31, 2017*....
A valid Driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle. The incumbent conducts evaluations/assessments, provides behavioural support and programming to youth...
Valid Manitoba Classroom Teacher's Certificate. This includes assessment of learning needs and styles, development and implementation of relevant programs, use...