Transit Planner Job Opening in Oakville, ON - Town of Oakville Recruitment 2017This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment and will be required to meet an interview threshold of 75%.
Reporting to the Manager of Planning & Accessible Services, Oakville Transit this position is responsible for designing and monitoring the performance of transit routes, forecasting transit demand, conducting research and analysis of field investigations and demographic studies to develop service proposals, providing input to development applications (OPA, Secondary Plans, subdivision and site plan applications), infrastructure projects, data validation and quality assurance for the real time Intelligent Transportation System (ITS). This position will also provide assistance to and back up the Transit Scheduler.
• Responsible for ITS data integrity/QA and data confirmation in the ITS system to support all scheduling and ITS functions. Function is critical to delivery of each service board and to the integrity of all customer facing ITS functionality.
• Designs transit routes, monitors performance of new routes and route extensions, coordinates route changes with other team members, analyze and forecast transit demand, participates in developing long term transit plans, develop innovative service strategies, reviews plans and proposal submitted by other governmental and private planning organizations, assists with budget planning.
• Review development applications to ensure transit supportive land use development, prepares detailed comments, suggestions and recommendations.
• Working with the Transit Analyst and Transit Scheduler, monitors and assesses system performance, conducts research and analysis of field investigations.
• Provides input and assists with planning of transit stop infrastructure development applications, site plans and plans of subdivision, as well as customer requests, and assists in maintaining infrastructure data base of existing assets while adhering to the Transit Service Design Standards.
• Participates in public information meetings, assists with public outreach campaigns, assists with customer complaints related to planning inquiries, acts as a liaison for the department with other GTHA systems, advises other departments on transit initiatives, consults with other team members in preparation of annual/strategic plans.
• Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
• Completion of a three year degree or diploma in Urban Planning, Transportation, Engineering.
• Must have a minimum of 1 year of work experience in same/related field
• Professional Ontario planning or engineering designation (or related field) an asset
• Excellent reading, written and verbal communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills to deal effectively with members of the public, Council and representatives of other transit systems, external groups and organizations and to represent the interests of Oakville Transit.
• Computer literacy in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Knowledge of transit scheduling and ITS related software would be considered an asset.
• Strong mathematical skills relating to statistical analysis.
• Ability to interpret engineering, architectural and/or survey plans.
• Experience in a public transit or transportation planning environment.
• Knowledge of service standards for public transit, transit scheduling fundamentals and land use planning and environmental assessment process.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on January 21, 2017 .
DATED: January 9, 2017
How to Apply
Please provide a cover letter along with your resume as one document.
If this is the first time you are applying for a position, click Apply for this Position.
If you have previously applied for a position, go to the Are you Returning Applicant section to log in.
If you do not receive an email within 24 hours confirming receipt of your application, please contact the Human Resources department from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST at (905) 845-6601. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for Job
Related Canada Career
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations...
Serving as the first point of contact for all members and guests; Individuals to join our front desk team. Flexibility to work early mornings and/or evenings...
We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and...
Applications will be valid from June 12, 2017 to December 8, 2017. Demonstrated experience in a computerized environment, including data input and an excellent...
Answer all incoming calls in a friendly, efficient and professional manner , and direct calls to the appropriate individual promptly....
Assists with the preparation of documentation associated with the planning of program and curriculum requirements in conjunction with Program Advisory...
Day time Female Receptionist needed ASAP. Must be friendly, positive attitude. Must be from Oakville area (Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington)....
Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) is a visionary community hospital, demonstrating commitment to strong successful relationships between its patients, their families...
Under the general direction of the Manager of Geomatics, the successful candidate will provide timely and accurate administrative and clerical support to the...