RECREATION OFFICER (8) Job Opening in Toronto, ON - Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services Recruitment 2017Consider this unique opportunity as a Recreation Officer to showcase your ability to develop, implement, facilitate, and evaluate a balanced (physical, social, cultural, educational), diverse, year-round recreation program for inmates.
We are currently seeking:
• 1 Recreation Officer at the Maplehurst Correctional Complex (Milton)
• 6 Recreation Officers at the Toronto East Detention Centre (Scarborough)
• 1 Recreation Officer at the Vanier Centre for Women (Milton)
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package including:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada's Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers
• Canada's Best Diversity Employers
• Canada's Greenest Employer
• Top Employer for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role? • Participate in the planning, design, implementation and facilitation of institutional recreation programs and special events
• Recommend changes to improve existing programs and events
• Provide instruction including lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in recreational activities
• Arrange for facilities, equipment, and materials required for recreational activities
• Ensure security, control, and safety standards are maintained while organizing, coordinating, leading and implementing individual or group recreational activities
• Provide for the care, custody and control of inmates including responding to emergency situations
• Prepare incident/occurrence, accident and injury, and any other applicable reports
How do I qualify? Mandatory • You currently possess (or able to obtain) First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Heartsaver Certificates
Specialized Knowledge and Experience • You have knowledge of theories, principles and rules of recreation activities such as physical education, kinesiology, or recreation leadership in order to instruct and guide participants in physical, social, cultural and/or educational recreation activities
• You have experience designing, planning, evaluating, and recommending changes to recreation programs and special events
• You have knowledge of practical correctional techniques to perform supervision during recreation activities
• You are able to understand, apply, and comply with policies and procedures related to institution security in order to ensure custody, control, and safety of participating inmates during recreation activities and special events
• You have understanding of relevant legislation such as Ministry of Correctional Services Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, etc.
Excellent Communication Skills • You can provide clear instruction to inmates and convey information
• You have writing skills to complete routine reports
• You have experience in using counseling and influencing skills as well as verbal defusing techniques in conflict situations and altercations
Analytical and Evaluation Skills • You are able to handle disruptive inmate behaviour as well as safety and security issues
• You can participate in the planning and design of recreational programs, implementation, and selection of required equipment/material
• You have mathematical and grammatical fluency to complete required reports and maintain accurate inmate counts and equipment inventory
Other Essential Skills • You have organizational skills to plan own activities and the activities of inmates engaged in recreational activities
• You can ensure resources and facilities are available both inside and outside the Institution
• You have basic proficiency with computer software and keyboarding in order to prepare schedules, reports, and email correspondence
Additional Information: Address:
- 1 Permanent, 661 Main St, Milton, Central Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Fingerprint-based Criminal Record (CPIC) check, Vulnerable Service Sector Check
- 6 Permanent, 55 Civic Rd, Toronto, Toronto Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Fingerprint-based Criminal Record (CPIC) check, Vulnerable Service Sector Check
- 1 Permanent, 665 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Enhanced – Criminal Record (CPIC) Check, Fingerprint-based Criminal Record (CPIC) check, Vulnerable Service Sector Check
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Corrections and Enforcement
Friday, January 6, 2017
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Apply for Job
Related Canada Career
Our counsellors provide high quality professional telephone, web and chat-line counselling, education /referral to children and youth contacting Kids Help...
We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care, and as one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals, we are building...
During a family's shelter stay – programming for children and youth is offered to encourage academic growth and participation in diverse activities such as arts...
This evaluation must support the educational requirements for the position, as a condition of employment. Credentials obtained outside of Canada require an...
Seeking students pursuing a degree in (but not limited to) Canadian History, Cultural Studies, Geography, Urban Planning or Hospitality and Tourism at a Toronto...
Answer, record, and process all guest calls, messages, requests, questions, or concerns. Process all payment types such as room charges, cash, checks, debit, or...
Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class “G” Driver’s License and must qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and...
Other clerical duties include, but are not limited to room booking, record keeping, electronic and paper file management, filing, copying, faxing and mailing...
Destuffing, Trucking for both full containers deliveries (FCL) and LCL deliveries, air inbond and export shipments (Huna is registered shipper in the air cargo...